Sunday, February 28, 2010

Is February really over?!

I guess I haven't been the most faithful blogger this month. It has indeed been a busy month. In fact, this entire semester has been quite a whirlwind. When I look at things from a day to day perspective, it actually seems like each day passes slowly because there are so many things to accomplish. However, thinking that March is already here is also strange. I am already half-way through witht this semester. That to me is strange.

The first thing I'd like to do is introduce you to Matt:



I first saw this a little over a year ago and very recently re-discovered it. I don't think I really understood the true power of this video. I thought it was "cool" but upon this second viewing, it has become quite moving. There is something very powerful about it. I wouldn't call it sad, but I wouldn't necessarily describe it as happy either. It doesn't make me cry, nor does it make me laugh. However, it does evoke something quite poweful within me. Simply put, it moves me. Recently, I've come to further appreciate the gift of humanity. you know when you're walking around in a new, unfamiliar place, not sure of where you're going and you don't recognize anything? That is like crack to me. 5 years ago, I was a Japan-obsessed 15 year old, set on living there as soon as I possibly could. As I matured, my interests changed and the thought of leaving the country ceased to cross my mind. However, I've recently had to rediscover that passion, however this time, I've discovered a passion for humanity rather than just one culture. I've decided that I love being lost. I love changing scenery. I love being among thousands upon thousands of strangers. I love being alone in big cities. I love being an alien to a foreign culture. I love that each of us are so different, yet so very alike. Humanity crosses all national and cultural boundaries. I hear talk of studying abroad, and internships in other states, and I can't help but feel that my life will be as adventurous and foreign as it possibly can be.



Moving on, has anyone been to Del Taco? Or, has anyone seen Invader Zim? Recently, I've been attending Del Taco's Tuesday taco night after late night rehearsals. Every Tuesday night, Del Taco offers three tacos for $0.99 and sadly, that's about all they're worth. I usually get six. The place is usually packed with college students who will buy anywhere from 9 to 18 tacos at a time. Every time I walk in there when it's packed, I feel like I've walked into the world of Invader Zim. Every time Zim visits a restaurant, it's soaking in grease and filled with strange people. I must be in college...



I'm still quite busy. A Thousand Cranes is still touring to elementary schools every Tuesday and Thursday and it has already been an extraordinary experience. My apartment situation is still hilariously awkward, and I'm well past the point of caring. Also, very importantly, As You Like It tickets are now on sale! Click here to get to those. I will do a post on that show as soon as there is a poster design for it. I feel like a post dedicated to the show should have the poster design on it. And yes, I am OCD enough to delay writing about it for that very reason. This shouldn't come as a surprise to most that know me.

I suppose that's all for now. Until next time..

1 comment:

  1. I know you wrote this a while ago, but have you taken any anthropology or foreign studies classes? I think you would love it. Look into that when you get back from your mission.

    ReplyDelete