Wednesday, March 3, 2010

As You Like It

Look what I found! The poster! So, as promised, I'll write about it. I'm thinking the FAQ format from last time worked so if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

Q: What is this show about?

A: As You Like It is one of William Shakespeare's better known comedies. After being banished from court, the protagonist, Rosalind, dresses as a man (not to be confused with Viola from Twelfth Night) in order to discover more about her love interest, Orlando. It has everything you'd expect from a Shakespeare comedy, however, our production puts a very different spin on it.

Q: Is this a main stage production?

A: Yep. This time this is not a "Theater for Young Audiences" production. It's quite far from it in fact. This will take place in a larger theater for older audiences.

Q: That's quite an interesting poster. It doesn't look anything like Shakespeare. Why is that?

A: This production of As You Like It  is set in the present. The story is the same, it just takes place in the world we live in today. The language hasn't been changed at all, it's still Shakespearean. This does change the set, the costumes, the situations, the style of acting, and so on and so forth. This concept really gives everything a harder edge. It is more of a realist approach to a classical work. It is still certainly full of its comedic moments, but a lot of the major plotlines are grittier. The stakes are higher. Rosalind isn't dressed as a man simply because it's funny, part of her reasoning is now that she doesn't want to be raped or murdered in the forest. Duke Frederick is much more dangerous now because he has SWAT troops, guns, and helicopters at his disposal. I think you get the picture.




Q: I heard something about contemporary music. What's that about?

A: Indeed. Contemporary music is used several times in the show. As You Like It has several musical moments written into it. Two of those songs remain in this production, all of the others have been replaced by contemporary songs that you may or may not recognize. When Shakespeare plays were originally produced in the Globe Theater, the music, for the most part, was not written by Shakespeare. It was more the equivalent of a modern day rock concert. Thus, that has been implemented into this version.




Q: Who do you play?

A: Le Beau. In the script, Le Beau is in three short scenes at the beginning, but I've also been thrown into a couple of the scenes where Duke Frederick is speaking to "Lord 1" and "Lord 2" and also to the final scene. It gives my character some much needed depth and a very interesting character arc throughout the show.





Q: What has the rehearsal process been like?

A: Difficult. And late. 8-11 PM Tuesday through Friday, and also Saturday mornings. But it's also been rewarding. This is definitely the most professional setting I've ever been in, and while it was a bit of a shock to my system at first, I've really learned to enjoy every minute of it. I'm surrounded by wonderful people.



Q:  Are you majoring in theater?

A: Um, do you realize who you're asking? I'm about as indecisive as they come and being in college hasn't changed that. I HAVE learned that it is important to do what you love. Make yourself happy and make the best of every situation. Nothing is set in stone right now. I do know that I love what I'm doing right now and would like to continue doing it. That certainly doesn't mean that I'm done exploring though. Who knows what else I may end up loving in the future?



Q: When and where can I see it?

A: March 17-April 2, 7:30 PM in the Pardoe Theater at the Harris Fine Arts Center on BYU campus. You can purchase tickets here or in person at the Harris Fine Arts Center ticket office.

Those of you that are first year BYU students can go to the Office of First Year Experience (JKB room 2006) and get a New BYU Student Arts Discount Card that will get you tickets for $2.

I'm really excited for this. Thanks for being interested and I hope to see you there!

Links:
Official News Release
BYU Arts (tickets)
The Daily Universe
The Daily Universe Video Clip
BYU Weekly (Video)
BYU Broadcasting Radio Show
The Deseret News
The Daily Herald
Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Jon - this sounds great-wish I lived closer to Provo! Congrats-I'm sure you are having a ball!

    ReplyDelete