Saturday, September 18, 2010

New Life, New Look

Here's a bit of an inaugural post as my life heads in a different direction, as does this blog. It may be completely fascinating, boring as heck, or perhaps not updated at all by my family. We'll see. This text is available as a page above.

What's most important about serving a mission is the calling. When you are called to serve a mission you are called to serve as a "missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." The exciting part that everyone wants to know is where you are assigned. Lots of inspired thought and consideration is put into your assignment. The assignment doesn't matter so much as the calling.


What's most important about serving a mission is the calling. When you are called to serve a mission you are called to serve as a "missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." The exciting part that everyone wants to know is where you are assigned. Lots of inspired thought and consideration is put into your assignment. The assignment doesn't matter so much as the calling.

My assignment is pretty exciting. Why? I've been called to the Japan Kobe Mission and I'm connected to it in a few ways.

  1. My mother was born and raised in Japan. She came to the U.S. at 19 where she met my father. All of her family is still in Japan and I have visited them several times, twice by myself.
  2. My parents lived on the small island, Shikoku when they were first married and my older brother was born there. They attended a very small branch and my dad taught English at dozens of junior high and high schools. Shikoku is within my mission boundaries.
  3. The Ii clan, my mother's maiden name, were located in Hikone where a feudal castle still exists today. Hikone is within my mission boundaries.


All of these are very exciting coincidents. It is very easy to see how my assignment was indeed inspired by the hand of the Lord. However, if I were called somewhere else and I couldn't see coincidents like these, I would still know that the assignment was inspired (I would find out why later) and I would know that the calling is what's most important.

The mission has approximately 134 missionaries, 45 of them Japanese, 85 foreign; 110 elders, 20 sisters and 2 couples. It includes 6 stakes, 3 member districts, 30 million people; and the major cities: Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Okayama, and Wakayama.


No comments:

Post a Comment