Saturday, May 25, 2013

“It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book.”



Every time I feel affected by something I come running to my blog and think "I have so many feels! Share the feels!" but when I come to write it I can never quite express it in a way that feels appropriate or interesting or relevant or exciting. I feel like I'm just trying to tell a bunch of dogs how great kitty liter is. You just can't understand it. I can't make anyone feel what I felt. So I suppose this is just for me to come back to and enjoy every now and then.

I'm out of school and have rediscovered my love for reading fiction. I really wish I could keep doing it during school, but there just isn't time (more like initiative) to do it. Just like every summer of my primary education, I'm blazing through books.

I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower and just loved it. I've certainly chuckled at finding scenarios comparable to my life in books from time to time. There have been times when certain expressions and characteristics remind me of myself or someone I know. This story felt like it was taken from my mind. It was like I knew exactly how everything was going to play out, not because it was formulaic, but because I had experienced it. Not necessarily the circumstances, but the ideals, emotions, aspirations, and desires of the main character.

The novel is written in the protagonist, Charlie's voice and it only took about 20 pages for Charlie's voice and my voice to merge in my mind. I had never experienced this before. Charlie was me, I was Charlie. This happened in my brain long before I found the quotation in the title of this post which by the way was one of the coolest aha moments I've ever had.

I related to this character on so many levels it was like climbing a skyscraper. I've always preferred observing to "participating." I've always been content so long as everyone else is happy. I don't know how else to express this, you should just read the book.

Like so many other coming-of-age/young adult novels, this one had lots of heavy content in it. Lots. I've read books that grossed me out and offended me before. I think written language can be so much more foul than visual because it doesn't have to be physically created. This book, however, never offended me. If anything it  just reinforced principles and standards that I have set for myself in stone, but then on top of that, taught me how to love and accept everyone. 

It made me want to be so much more than I am. It's made me look inward, but at the same time made me feel this sense of urgency to step outward.

I saw the movie tonight as well, same day I finished the book. It's fantastic. You should see it, but read the book first if you can. It's the best novel to film adaptation in my memory. It does help that the author wrote the screenplay AND directed it. I mean, the screenplay is one thing, but he directed it! How cool is that? The performances were stellar all around. Charlie's purity, charity, and innocence translated perfectly to the screen.


And, you guys, can we just appreciate Emma Watson for a second? Emma Watson, guys and gentlemen:


Her accent didn't bother me one bit. Not. At. All. I can't picture anyone else as Sam.


Anyway. Yeah, this book has tons of literary merit and stuff. Yeah. 

I just hope someone else will find this and hopefully pick up the book and have something remotely close to what I experienced. That would make me happy.

I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people. You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things. I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to be who I really am. And I'm going to figure out what that is. And we could all sit around and wonder and feel bad about each other and blame a lot of people for what they did or didn't do or what they didn't know. I don't know. I guess there could always be someone to blame. It's just different. Maybe it's good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Because it's okay to feel things. I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite. I feel infinite.



No comments:

Post a Comment